You obviously don’t want any foul odors in the house, especially if they come from clogged drains. Foul smells are not only unpleasant, they may also worsen, if left untreated.
The simplest way to eliminate the odor is to find the source and repair or remove it.
The most common reasons a drain may produce foul odors, include –
- Dry P-trap – The curved section of the drainpipe under the sink is the P-trap. It captures water in order to prevent sewer gases from coming back up the pipe. A dry P-trap in sinks or bathrooms that don’t get used very often, can produce foul odors.
- Venting issues – Venting pipes prevent sewer gases from entering the house. These pipes may get clogged from debris, snow etc. This can allow sewer gases up through the drains, causing unpleasant smells.
- Sewer line problems – If you find the odor arising from multiple sinks, the problem could be a break or block in a sewer line carrying waste water. Such odor may be accompanied by bubbling sounds.
- Biofilm – Many different substances go down the drains, from body oils to shampoo. These substances can create biofilm which begins releasing an odor.
- Trapped food – Food trapped in the drains can clog a drain. The decomposing food can produce bad odor.
If you can smell some unpleasant odor around the house, especially in the kitchen or the bathroom, don’t try to DIY it. Call in a professional sanitary service who will bring the right equipment and trained personnel to treat the problem and rid your house of the odor safely. If you are looking for septic tank cleaning and pumping in Oakland County, MI, call Shorty’s Sanitary Service at 248-332-6476.